Places of interest
The Cagliari archaeological museum holds a rich collection of objects from the so called „Nuraghe" - culture, a population dating back to the bronze age and known for its stone towers (nuraghe) that are still visible all over the island, such as a Phoenician an Roman collection.
The traces of the roman empire are still widespread over the town like the amphitheatre, dating back to the second century, or the "House of Tigellio". Sardinias oldest Christian church "San Saturnino" was constructed in the fifth century. It was lately renovated like the church of "N.S. Bonaria", the dome and many houses on the "Castello" hill area, which were used by the nobleman in medieval times. The traditional quarters Stampace, Marina and Villanova are worth a visit. While the first one was the quarter of the citizens and merchants, in the Marina quarter lived the fisherman and sailors. Stampace, the third one, was populated mainly by farmers and shepherds.
The natural laguna of Cagliari was used for the salt production since ancient times. Today the laguna is a natural park and refuge for endangered species like the pink flamingos.
In the high season the five mile long Poetto beach with its recreational facilities, its bars and vendors of fresh seafood becomes a city itself.
Within close proximity of Cagliari there are two tourist harbours: "Marina piccola" and "Su Siccu". Apart from the trips in a rented boat, they invite to have a stroll around to admire the boats and yachts. The port of Cagliari is often destination of huge sailing ships which might then be visited. Since 1865 Cagliari has one of the most beautiful botanical garden of the Mediterranean. It possesses a variety of more than 500 species from Sardinia and all around the word.